Note: This is not a post about how my brain works. Nobody can figure that shit out. Instead, this is a post inspired by the lovely Laurin Evans. She encouraged bloggers to write something talking about their work environment:
Most of us are sitting for a large chunk of the day, whether at home or at an office somewhere. We are doing freelance, working on our blogs, tweeting, or doing whatever we do at the computer, but we all have our method. If you are blogging from your lanai on a private island, I don’t want to hear about it. Okay, I do. Kind of.
I’m always wondering what people are doing and where they are when they’re blogging or tweeting, in a non-perverted way, of course. I’m frequently in my bed with a laptop, but I’m mostly working at my desk with a steady steam of coffee and chewy Spree. The point is, we are all doing our thing somewhere in our own special way.
Write a post that sets the scene and shows how you do it.
I thought I’d let a photo tell the whole story:
- This is my 30-inch monitor which allows me to keep my email, a browser, a text editor, and IM windows all open simultaneously. I am either the multitasker or the ultimate procrastinator, depending on whether you’re a glass half full or empty kind of person.
- A 5 Hour Energy Drink, not to be consumed in conjunction with the Benadryl pictured in #4, because it will make you see things out of the corners of your eyes, numb your lips and nose, and make you want to sleep and dance at the same time.
- My Twilight sticker, picturing Alice. I rub her for good luck. And since I usually work in my manties or naked, then I rub something else for good luck. It doesn’t always work, though, so I have to rub it repeatedly.
- See #2.
- My Logitech QuickCam Pro. Perfect for taking quick photos of your nutsack or Skyping with friends across the world. And some guy named Chris Hansen.
- My TV remote, receiver remote and Apple TV remote. Essential tools if I’m going to watch TV or listen to music while I work. More multitasking, you see. This is how I managed to make it through four seasons of Dexter in 10 days.
- My iPhone, always on hand and charged in case there’s an emergency game of Words With Friends or Angry Birds that I need to play.
- A bacon sticker to remind me to eat lunch. Or to go to Denny’s at 4 AM for bacon.
- Coke Zero, one essential part of a healthy breakfast.
- Peanut M&Ms, the other part.
- My TV, aka the altar to which I pray. Without cable, I would atrophy and die. In fact, tomorrow’s post is all about fall television!
- Actual work and bills. I pile it there until I can convince someone else to take care of it.
- Hand sanitizer to be used 40 or 50 times a day, followed by hand lotion to avoid dryness.
- The sketches I do for posts, usually left there to collect dust until I accidentally spill Coke Zero all over them or knock them to the floor, at which point I throw them away.
Not pictured: Bedroom to the immediate left, kitchen to the immediate right, pool directly behind me.
Needed: Personal assistant and housekeeper to organize my desk, clean, pay bills, feed me Coke Zero, go grocery shopping, cook me meals, and run errands.
What’s your work environment like?