If you’re still looking for gifts to give to friends, family, or me, here’s my list of the top 5 TV shows available on DVD or Blu Ray at this time.
5. 30 Rock. Tina Fey and Alec Baldwin have a dynamic that is reminiscent of Bruce Willis and Cybill Shepherd in Moonlighting, without the sexual tension. It’s funny and smart and, once again, meets a criteria of mine for a television show – it does not talk down to the audience. The best shows are the ones that treat the audiences as if they’re intelligent. Seasons: Currently still on air with season 5.
4. Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Sometimes when I suggest this show to people, I want to suggest that they skip the first season and begin watching season 2. Season 1 is a bit “Monster of the Week”, but it does lay the groundwork for an amazingly rich continuity that lasts through the entire series. If you don’t cry at least once while watching this series, you have no soul. Seasons: 7.
3. Community. A half-hour comedy that doesn’t telegraph its jokes, doesn’t talk down to its audience, doesn’t star Charlie Sheen, shows what geeks are actually like, and heralded the genius return of Chevy Chase? Who would think that something like this would work? Not only does it work, but Community works on multiple levels. It’s funny and almost requires repeat viewings to catch every little nuance. It might start off a bit slow, but as it picks up steam, it’s risen in the ranks to my favorite TV show currently on TV. Stars Joel McHale from E!’s “The Soup”, and he’s actually really good! Seasons: Currently still on air with season 2.
2. Firefly. The outskirts of space is more likely to be like the Old West than Star Trek, according to this funny, dark, and brilliant concept by Joss Whedon. It doesn’t matter if you don’t like westerns and don’t like “space shows”. You’ll like this. Follow it up with the movie “Serenity”. Seasons: 1.
1. Veronica Mars. Sharply written noir in a high school setting. It’s one of the best series I’ve ever seen, and I have yet to find a single person who didn’t watch the season premiere and find it compelling, if not fascinating. Seasons: 3.
Honorable Mentions: Pushing Daisies, Tru Blood, Sopranos, LOST, The Office, Seinfeld, It’s Always Sunny in Philadelphia, Scrubs, Remington Steele, Police Squad, Sledge Hammer!, Profit
Looking for something to buy the special Avitable in your life? Click here!