Thanks to Maria for the survey:
1. What did you do in 2010 that you’d never done before?
I got divorced, went on anti-depressants, and started dating as an adult. Oh, and I fired a pistol.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I don’t usually make serious resolutions and last year I was too busy dealing with real life to fantasize about improvements I was going to probably fail to make over the upcoming year.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Not that I’m aware of. I’m kind of oblivious to that type of thing, though.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
My maternal grandmother passed away.
5. What countries did you visit?
I went to Canada for the first time ever. It was beautiful and I’d love to go back at some point.
6. What would you like to have in 2011 that you lacked in 2010?
I would like more discipline with regards to my diet and exercise and a solid plan for the future.
7. What dates from 2010 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
I am sitting here, trying to think of a single date that actually resonates with me, and there’s not a single date from the past year that I can remember, at all.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Learning to be alone.
9. What was your biggest failure?
Not being able to make my marriage work.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Other than the cold I have right now, I haven’t had any illness or injuries all year.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Tickets to New York, Canada, Pittsburgh, Los Angeles, and Las Vegas, along with tickets to see Seinfeld, Hole, Weird Al, and in 2011, Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.
12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
Due to a falling out with a friend who betrayed confidences and made herself the victim of situations that had nothing to do with her, other friends were put in a bad position. Most of them chose diplomacy and evenhandedness over bandwagon jumping, and I will appreciate that forever.
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
The ex-friend mentioned above and those former friends who decided that attacking someone when they didn’t know the whole story was the mature way to go.
14. Where did most of your money go?
Most of my money goes to rent and student loans, although I allocated some of it towards travel this year too.
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
Two things this year really got me excited: BlogHer in New York City, which was a fantastic time in a wonderful city, and my tickets to see Weird Al, who put on an amazing performance and didn’t let any of his fans down.
16. What song will always remind you of 2010?
I’m just going to stick with artists: Taylor Swift, Regina Spektor, the Glee cast, Ke$ha, and Rilo Kiley.
17. Compared to this time last year, are you:
a) happier or sadder? Happier.
b) thinner or fatter? The same, unfortunately.
c) richer or poorer? Poorer.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I want to explore more of Orlando – there’s so much to do here of which I’m unaware.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Wasted time on the past and on holding onto baggage.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
At a spa in Utah, and with my family.
21. Did you fall in love in 2010?
22. What was your favorite TV program?
23. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Yes. Several people who showed their true colors.
24. What was the best book you read?
Both books in the Jack Reacher series by Lee Child that came out in 2010.
25. What was your greatest musical discovery?
26. What did you want and get?
27. What did you want and not get?
28. What was your favorite film of this year?
The Social Network
29. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
I moved out of my house into my new house and then went to a birthday party at Faiqa’s house. I turned 33.
30. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
31. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2009?
Hats and painted toenails.
32. What kept you sane?
33. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
34. What political issue stirred you the most?
I don’t really get stirred up about political issues.
35. Who did you miss?
It’s not as much who I missed as certain actions and comforts that I missed.
36. Who was the best new person you met?
In 2010, I met several new people who have become excellent friends, but I don’t want to alienate anyone by only mentioning a few names. You know who you are.
37. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2010.
Everybody needs a villain.
38. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
I have kissed honey lips
Felt the healing in her fingertips
It burned like a fire
This burning desire
I have spoke with the tongue of angels
I have held the hand of a devil
It was warm in the night
I was cold as a stone
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for
But I still haven’t found what I’m looking for